Woman hospitalised after visit to all-you-can-eat sushi buffet goes wrong

A woman in California ate so much sushi at an all-you-can-eat buffet that she ended up in the hospital the following day...

With a friend from out of town visiting, Danielle Shapiro, 24, decided to go to her favourite all-you-can-eat sushi buffet restaurant to enjoy the company of her friend. But things took a turn for the worst when she got a little too excited about all the food she was going to eat.

Astronomical amounts of food

After having gobbled 32 sushi rolls, four gyozas, one bowl of edamame beans, two jalapeño poppers and a bowl of miso soup, the woman found herself in the emergency room. She explains that the reason she ate so much was that entry to the restaurant was $50 for the all-you-can-eat option, so she wanted to make it worth her money. She said:

Immediately after dinner we were so full we had to sit in my car for about 30 minutes before driving home. My stomach felt very firm from all the sushi and probably the rice that expanded in my stomach.

Adding that:

That night I went to sleep at my boyfriend's house and I had the worst stomach ache but didn't think much of it since I had a huge meal! I am not a morning person so when I woke up around 6am the next day I knew something was wrong.

Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease

According to her doctor, the California native was told she had gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, which is something that occurs when stomach acid flows back into the esophagus. This was most likely a result of having eating too much food at once.

Thankfully, the young woman is fine after having received treatment and, surprisingly enough, says she will continue to eat sushi despite the scary trip to the hospital.

KFC Under Fire After Woman's Reaction To Her Meal On Social Media Goes Viral KFC Under Fire After Woman's Reaction To Her Meal On Social Media Goes Viral