A nine-year-old boy from North Yorkshire had his eyelid shut for four days after his dad mistakenly applied superglue on the eye instead of eye drops.
Rupert Day was prescribed some eye drops back in February after suffering from an itchy eye. Kevin Day -the dad- had gone in to apply the medication, but instead of the medical drops, he mistakenly reached for a superglue tub and squirted its content on his son’s eye.
Shortly after realizing what he had done, Kevin called 999 and the boy was airlifted to the hospital.
Rupert scratched his eye and we were given some eye cream. I went to put it in and then realized I had put superglue in his eye instead. I phoned 999 who advised us to keep flushing it and they said an ambulance was on its way. I wasn’t expecting the air ambulance.
Due to the proximity of its airbase to the Day home, Yorkshire Air Ambulance dispatched its Topcliffe aircraft and were first on the scene.
Helicopter ER Appearance
The paramedics bathed Rupert’s eye and administered pain relief before the land ambulance arrived and took him to Harrogate Hospital for further treatment.
He spent a few hours in hospital but couldn’t open his eye for four anxious days.
Thankfully, Rupert made a full recovery with no damage to the affected eye. His eye and his vision have been completely fine following the ordeal. The family shared the traumatic ordeal on TV show, Helicopter ER last night.
I had a massive fear that I had blinded my son and ruined his life.
The Yorkshire Air Ambulance serves five million people across Yorkshire and carries out more than 1,3000 missions every year.