Whether you’re a fan of Big Macs or not, this recipe will definitely tempt you because they’re actually much healthier than the originals. A couple of Instagram stars who specialise in making original recipes have succeeded in making these Big Macs that look exactly like the originals. Keep reading to find out how to make this popular burger at home without having to spend as much.
A healthy and easy recipe
Instagram influencers Gizzi Erskine and Professor Green managed to reproduce this burger to absolute perfection. In their popular weekly Instagram series ‘Monday Night Fakeaway,’ the duo shared a recipe that many people had been eagerly waiting for.
On their joint account, named Giz and Greens, they explain all the steps involved in making the best Big Mac in the world. Even their special sauce is a perfect replica. Gizzie Erskine said that it’s almost the same thing, but with healthier ingredients so you don’t feel bad afterwards. Here’s the recipe:
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 200g mayonnaise
- 30g ketchup
- 30g mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped pickles
- 2-3 tbsp of dill pickle brine
- 1 tsp or onion/garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2x 80g beef patties (with 20% fat)
- Hamburger bun
- 3-4 slices of gherkin
- 1-2 slices of processed cheese
The list of ingredients might seem long at first, but at the end of the day, these are actually pretty common items and you probably already have a lot of them at home! As for the method, here’s how to make the Big Mac.
- The sauce: Pour a kettle full of boiling water over 3 tbsp of finely chopped onion and leave for 5 minutes before pouring through a sieve and drying in kitchen paper, making sure to squeeze out all the liquid until the onion is dry. Save 1 tbsp of this mixture and put 2 tbsp in a mixing bowl with 200g mayonnaise, 30g ketchup, 30g mustard, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbsp chopped pickles and 2-3 tbsp of dill pickle brine, 1 tsp or onion/garlic powder and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Mix together and leave for at least 30 mins.
- The burger: Take 2 beef patties weighing around 80g (20% fat), season with plenty of salt and pepper and brown them in a very hot pan. To build your burger, split the bun into 3 across-ways and toast it. Spread 1 tbsp of burger sauce over the base of the bottom and the middle slice. Add 1 tsp of the chopped onion between the two bases, a handful of lettuce on the bottom topped with 3-4 slices of gherkin. Add the patties to the burger and then one or two slices of cheese. Place the next layer on top and then the lid. Put the burger back into the pan and cover with a lid and dash about 1 tbsp of water underneath to steam the cheese until it melts and heat the burger until it is hot!
So, tempted to try this recipe? If so, don’t forget to share your culinary masterpieces with us on Instagram by tagging the Gentside_UK account. Bon appetit!