In Dordogne in the southwest of France, a man in his eighties blew up his kitchen while trying to kill a fly. Luckily, the man was not seriously injured.
This very unlikely story took place in the southwest of France in Dordogne. On Friday 4th September around 7.45pm, a man in his eighties was preparing a meal in his kitchen when a very common insect started bothering him: a fly.
The man then got it into his head that he should try and kill the pest with one of those tennis racket-shaped electric fly swatters. However, when he was swatting the insect, the electrical object came into contact with the gas stove which just so happened to be on at the time. The initial shock caused an instant explosion.
The kitchen was blown up, lifting the roof and injuring the man in the process. Luckily for him, he managed to walk away with ‘just’ a burn to his hand, but the events could have ended a lot worse.
The eighty-year-old was taken to a nearby hospital where he is still being treated and when he returns, the local council will relocate him (probably somewhere in the countryside nearby), since his house is currently uninhabitable. The moral of this story: leave flies alone.