It is difficult for nearly a third of adults to fall asleep quickly. Insomnia affects a large part of the population, and few escape the occasional sleepless night against their will. But what if there was a simple solution to fall asleep quickly?
Andrew Weil, a researcher at the University of Arizona, shared a very simple and highly effective technique for falling asleep quickly and thus fighting insomnia.
Andrew Weil has developed a deep breathing exercise. The specialist even said that with a little practice and concentration, a person can fall asleep in just one minute, even during a period of intense stress.
The method, entitled '4-7-8,' allows you to clear your mind, regain your calm and relax your muscles with a few relatively simple steps.
The 4-7-8 method
To do this, first place the tip of the tongue against the palate, just behind the upper incisors. The tongue should remain in this position throughout the entire exercise. The exercise works as follows:
- Breathe out all the air in your lungs through your mouth.
- Close your mouth and breathe in gently through your nose, mentally counting to 4.
- Hold your breath while mentally counting to 7.
- Breathe air out of your mouth again loudly and mentally count to 8.
The cycle consisting of the second, third and fourth stages must be completed four times. In other words, you must breathe in for 4 seconds four times, hold your breath for 7 seconds, and breathe out for 8 seconds. Of course, this is not an immediate solution. The method requires a little practice but is particularly effective.Expert Andrew Weil stated:
It is not a method that you do once and succeed at the first try. It requires a minimum of practice but is extremely simple and can be performed in any position.
Consistency and continuity
According to the expert, it works because it promotes better oxygenation:
Breathing deeply has a physiological but also psychological impact on the thought process, including your mood. By concentrating in a very simple way on your breathing, you can succeed in relaxing.
Weil recommends consistency and continuity to be able to achieve good results. He said:
You should do this exercise twice a day. It will become a wonderful way to help you fall asleep. You can do it more often during the day. After about four to six weeks, you will see wonderful changes in your body.
But if, unfortunately, this technique does not work for you, it may mean that your environment is not suitable for a good night's sleep.But here are some tips:
- Make sure your room is between 15 and 19 degrees,the optimal temperature for falling asleep.
- Ensure a quiet environment, free from outside noise (animals, noise pollution...).
- Do not leave any lights on in the room.
- Avoid computers and mobile phones: blue light is extremely bad for falling asleep and for the quality of sleep.
- Do not eat too heavy or greasy food before going to bed.