Sharks may be the scariest animal on the planet, but they’re definitely not the deadliest! Keep on reading to find out which animals are deadlier than the king of the ocean. You’ll probably be surprised by a few of them!
Sharks are responsible for 6 human deaths a year. So why are we so scared of them? Sure, their 3,000 sharp teeth unevenly distributed on 5 rows can look quite intimidating, but sharks don’t usually use them to chew on human flesh.
So why do does this sea predator get such a bad rep? Let’s just say that Hollywood isn’t helping their cause… Movies such as American thriller Jaws directed by Steven Spielberg love making sharks out to be the bad guys.
6 animals deadlier than sharks
- Mosquitos. Not only are these insects annoying, but they’re also deadly! They kill about 725,000 people every year. Mosquitos carry a lot of diseases like the Zika virus and malaria.
- Hippos. These critters may seem cute at first, but be aware, hippos kill about 500 people every year in Africa. They’re very aggressive creatures. They can kill by snatching you in half with their impressive jaws or even by sitting on you!
- Jellyfish. They kill about 40 people every year by stinging. Be careful in warm waters, that’s where they thrive.
- Snails. They may move slow but they kill more than 200,000 humans every year. They carry a disease called schistosomiasis, known as snail fever, which is particularly deadly to children in developing countries.
- Cows. These critters aren’t just methane-releasing machines, they also kill about 20 people in the U.S. every year.
- Dogs. Man’s best friend kills an estimated 28 Americans every year. Pit bulls are commonly known to be the deadliest dog race. In fact, pit bulls are banned in a lot of states.